Looking for a perfect summertime dessert (or even an indulgent breakfast?) This berry crumb cake is one of our favorites, because it incorporates some of the season's best berries. Whip it up and take it to your next barbecue, along with a pint of vanilla ice cream. We promise it'll be a hit!
- 1/2 cup Organic Butter
- 1/2 cup Organic Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Organic raw Walnuts or Almonds (chopped)
- 2 cup Organic Unbleached all purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 oz Organic Pasture raised Butter
- Zest of 1/2 an Organic lemon
- 1 cup Organic Sugar
- 2 Organic Pasture raised Eggs
- 1 cup Organic Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3/4 cup White Leaf Provisions Biodynamic Applesauce with Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Organic Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Organic Strawberries (chopped into quarters)
- 1/2 cup Organic Raspberries (cut in halves)
Make the crumb topping.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and pour into a medium bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, granulated sugar and stir until blended. Add the flour and the nuts, mixing with your fingers until it’s well combined; the mixture should be crumbly but also clump together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the cake.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13-inch baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment and butter the parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to blend.
- Combine the butter, lemon zest, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined (but not fluffy), scraping the bowl as needed, about 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined and scraping the bowl as needed. Add about one-third of the flour mixture, mixing on medium low until combined. Add the biodynamic applesauce, mixing on medium low until incorporated and scraping the bowl as needed.
- Mix in another third of the flour mixture, then the sour cream, and then the remaining flour mixture, mixing after each addition until just incorporated. Don’t over mix. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle the chopped berried on top of the cake batter and bake for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, remove cake and sprinkle the crumb topping on top. Bake for an additional 20 mins or until the crumb is brown and the and the center springs back when pressed with your finger.
- Serve at room temperature with cream or ice cream. Enjoy!