Who says produce picks are at their prime in the summer months? One of our favorite salad combinations is exclusively made with with the produce in season from November through March. This roasted beet, squash and orange salad is both bright and hearty, and the lime-yogurt dressing and toasted pistachios make well-balanced (and super flavorful!) finishing touch.
Here's how it's done!
Beet, Squash & Citrus Salad
- 4 organic beets (medium size)
- 1 organic acorn squash (Peeled, deseeded and cut into wedges)
- 2 organic oranges (peeled and segmented)
- 1/2 cup organic yogurt
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 4 cups organic baby kale
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted pistachios
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Piment d’Espelette (sweet paprika is a good substitute)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 370 F. Wrap beets individually in foil and bake until soft, about 1.5 hours, but check after 1 hour. Test by inserting a knife, if the knife easily enters, your beets are ready.
- While the beets are cooking, toss squash wedges in 1 tbsp of EVOO, then add in Piment d’Espelette and salt and pepper, tossing again. Place on a baking sheet and bake along with the beets for 35 mins or until tender.
- Let beets cool, peel and cut into wedges and toss with 1 tbsp EVOO, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. (We recommend wearing gloves!).
- In a small bowl mix yogurt, lime juice and lime zest together.
- In a large bowl mix kale with 1/2 of the yogurt dressing.
- Build your salad. Pile the kale in your serving bowl add beets, squash and oranges and garnish with pistachios, EVOO and drizzle over remaining dressing.