We recently tested out this amazing butternut squash soup recipe from the One Gun Ranch cookbook(which, if you haven't heard of it, is a wonderful cookbook by the founders of a biodynamic farm in California). It's simple to prepare, but hints of ginger, lime, and jalapeño complement the squash in an unexpected way. All we did was add some fresh cilantro and toasted sesame oil as a garnish, and it was a perfect lunch for our whole family.
Butternut Squash Soup with Jalapeño
- 1 medium-sized organic butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into large chunks)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. organic thyme leaves
- 1 large organic onion (thick slices)
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups organic pasture raised chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. organic lime juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper (finely grated)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Mix the squash, onion and garlic with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper on a baking tray and roast until the squash is tender, soft and golden, around 35 mins.
- While roasting the veg, warm up chicken stock, lime juice and grated jalapeño in a stock pot.
- Working in batches, combine the squash, onion garlic and stock mixture in a blender and blend to a silky thick texture. Pour each batch into a medium pot as you work. (If the soup is too thick, you can always add additional stock or hot water!) When everything is blended, heat over a medium heat until hot. Ladle into bowls, serve and enjoy.