There's a lot to love about this next recipe. For one: It tastes amazing and it's the perfect dessert for fall, because it blends seasonal flavors like apple & pear (thanks to our Biodynamic Apple & Pear Sauce), cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest. But what we might love most about this recipe is how incredibly simple it is. You literally mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and bake it.
A few notes before you start: We find that this recipe works best in a single round cake pan or 12" x 12" baking pan (or for additional servings, double the recipe and bake in two round cake pans to make a layered cake). We also prefer a more subtle level of spice in this recipe, but feel free to tweak the amount of spices you add to your liking. Finally, we've included a recipe for cream cheese frosting that we consider a must-have addition to this cake.
This is a White Leaf family favorite and we hope you enjoy it!
Flourless Apple & Pear Spice Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups White Leaf Provisions’ Biodynamic Apple & Pear Sauce
- 1/2 cup organic refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 large free range organic eggs
- 1/2 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- 2 cups organic oat flour
- 1/2 cup organic dark brown sugar (we love Wholesome brand)
- 1 cup chopped roasted pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped organic dates (optional)
- 1 tsp. organic orange zest
- 1 tsp. organic lemon zest
Optional Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces organic cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Optional: additional chopped roasted pecans to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Line a 12" x 12" baking pan (or a 9” x 2” round cake pan) with parchment paper and lightly grease with organic canola oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together the apple & pear sauce, coconut oil (measured when completely melted), eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- In a second bowl mix baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, allspice, nutmeg, oat flour, sugar, 1/2 cup pecans, dates and fruit zest. Stir until completely combined with a whisk.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet and stir until smooth and pour into pan.
- Bake for 30-35 mins at 350 degrees or until a knife when inserted comes out clean. We recommed checking the cake after 25 mins and every 5 mins after that as not all ovens bake alike. Also, be careful to not over bake as it will make this cake less tender and less flavorful. Allow to cool with a clean dry cloth over the top.
Optional Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Place the room temperature cream cheese in a bowl.
- Beat with the vanilla until smooth. Add in the salt and slowly add in the powdered sugar (beating in between additions) until smooth and creamy. If it is too thick add in a little bit of organic milk or heavy cream.
Frost the completely cooled cake evenly with the frosting.
We recommend toping the frosting with more roasted pecans pieces and enjoying alongside a cup of coffee. Enjoy!