You know what we love? When recipes taste complex and fancy, but they're actually straightforward and simple. Such is the case with our Chocolate Banana Applesauce cake. The flavor combination is decadent and elevated, but the process and ingredients are as straightforward as they come. And we even snuck in our apple pear sauce as a natural sweetener!
Chocolate Banana Applesauce Cake
- 2 Organic Bananas (very ripe)
- 1/2 c. Organic Sugar
- 1/2 c. White Leaf Provisions organic Biodynamic apple and pear sauce
- 1/3 c. Water
- 1 tsp. Raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. Organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 c. Unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. Sea salt (fine)
- 2/3 c. Organic bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8"x8" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash bananas in a medium size bowl.
- Stir in sugar, applesauce, water, vanilla and vinegar until thoroughly combined.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and stir into wet mix until just combined.
- Fold in ⅓ cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 32-36 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. (Check after 30 mins and take cake out early if you like it more moist).
- Let cool, slice and serve.
We love it with vanilla ice cream, but it's also great with coffee the next morning!!