There are only six weeks of winter left, and while we're excited for spring, we also plan to indulge in the current season's richer recipes and bountiful product before warmer weather hits. One of our go-to dishes ever winter is a delicious Chickpea, Coconut, and Red Pepper soup--it's hearty and rich, but oh-so-healthy, too. Due to all of the health benefits and its earthy flavor we love adding turmeric to this recipe. You can also cut back or increase the chili if needed.
1 large organic sweet onion (deseeded and sliced)
2 organic red peppers (peeled and sliced)
2 cans organic chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 can organic coconut milk
3 cups organic vegetable broth (or water)
2 tsp. garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
1 tsp. ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
1/2 tsp. chili paste
1/2 tsp. organic tumeric powder
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt to taste
Roasted unsalted Sunflower seeds
Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Roast Red Pepper (diced)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Sweat onions, peppers with a pinch of salt until they become soft.
- Add garlic, chili and ginger. Continue to cook for additional 5 mins
- Add coconut milk, broth (or water) and turmeric. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 10 mins, add chickpeas and continue cooking for an additional 5 mins.
- Blend soup in batches until smooth. Adjust seasoning to your liking and serve with toasted sunflower seeds and diced roast peppers.